Andrea’s animal rescue
Terms and Conditions
Andrea’s Animal Rescue and the Henrietta Foundation Donkey Sanctuary volunteer’s manual
Thank you for being willing to give your valuable time to help improve the lives of our rescued equines. This manual has been developed to provide you with guidelines for working as an AAR Sanctuary volunteer. Please read it carefully.
By agreeing to volunteer with the AAR Sanctuary you agree to abide by these policies and procedures at all times.
Policies, procedures and volunteer guidelines
Volunteers are expected to:
- Complete tasks as agreed upon.
- Come in as scheduled, on time, and stay until the end of time committed.
- Follow the AAR policies and procedures as listed in this manual and report any safety concerns or maintenance issues.
- Be courteous and respectful of all staff, visitors, and other volunteers.
- Be pleasant, helpful, welcoming, and understanding when interacting with the public.
- Show respect for AAR Sanctuary’s property and the personal property of others.
- All volunteers working with our animals must have up-to-date tetanus vaccinations.
- If you become aware of any potentially dangerous and/or illegal situations regarding weapons, drugs, alcohol, fights, property damage, theft, etc., or have information regarding such issues, you must report it to your supervisor immediately.
- You are to maintain professional behaviour at all times, including refraining from profanity or vulgar language.
- Damaging any AAR property will not be tolerated and a police report may be made. Parent or guardians may be liable to pay for damages for youth under age 18.
- Volunteers must treat everyone fairly and with respect, regardless of gender, size, race, age, religion, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or economic status.
Guidelines for working at the rescue centre
- If you can’t come in on an agreed day, please let us know ahead of time so we can arrange a substitute. Call or text message us on +34 690 906 565.
- No equine is to be ridden or sat on.
- Never kick or hit a donkey or commit a violent act against an animal or human resident. We treat our animals with dignity and gentle care.
- Your supervisor’s word is final.
- Closed toe shoes must be worn at all times when working around our animals to prevent foot injuries.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions – sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen in summer, waterproof clothing and Wellington boots in winter.
- Chewing gum is not permitted near animals as it is a health hazard to them.
- Food is not to be given to animals unless directly instructed to do so.
- If you break something or make a mistake, you must own up to it immediately so it can be resolved.
- Take time to familiarise yourself with the location of first aid kit and fire extinguisher on premises.
- You understand that you are responsible for your own health and safety at all times. It is recommended to have your tetanus vaccination up to date before arrival. In the unlikely event of accident or injury, you must inform your supervisor and expressly agree to indemnify and hold harmless Andreas Animal Rescue and its staff and volunteers against all suits, actions, claims, demands or damages.
- Please note we are unfortunately unable to accept volunteers aged under 18 as we cannot provide the level of close supervision required for children wanting to work with large animals, unless accompanied by a responsible adult.
Volunteer conduct online
Volunteers who write or upload content to Andrea‘s Animal Rescue and The Henrietta Foundation website, Facebook page and other social media, or who engage in email communication under the rescue centre’s name, must not use profanities or obscene content, nor bully or discriminate anyone based on their religion, race, sex, political beliefs or sexual orientation.
In compliance with European law, Andrea’s Animal Rescue and the Henrietta Foundation has a smoke-free workplace policy. Smoking is therefore prohibited.
Food and beverages
In order to safeguard our animals and minimise the risk of potential pest infestation, the storage and consumption of food and beverages are restricted to appropriate areas. Please keep kitchens clear of food waste and wash up cups and plates when you are finished.
Alcohol must never be consumed while volunteering and you must never approach any equine while under the influence of alcohol.
We understand that life circumstances, interests, and availability can change. Please let us know if you are no longer able to volunteer as soon as possible so we can arrange cover for your volunteer role. Call or text us on +34 690 906 565.
Failure to comply with any of these rules and regulations may result in immediate and non-negotiable termination from our volunteering program.